( SERVES 4 )
Nothing goes to waste at Oma’s house. The meats used for this dish can be a combination of left over roast, sausages, silverside, steak, ham etc. or 500gram of a tasty luncheon sausage or Strasburg. Wonderful filling meal on the day but tastes even better the next day. This meal can be successfully frozen.
- Preheat oven 180 deg
- To a large saucepan of boiling salted water add the macaroni elbows. Cook al dente’ (firm to the bite), drain in a colander, rinse with cold water and stand aside to drain and cool.
- Place oil in a small saucepan, heat, add onion, garlic and bacon. Stir & saute’ until onion is tender and bacon cooked. Remove from heat and stand aside.
- In a large bowl place the cooked macaroni elbows, meat, tomato paste, onion/ garlic mix, salt and pepper and optional extras if desired - mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture into a large ovenproof dish. Smooth over top, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and then top with grated cheese.
- Place in heated oven until cheese and macaroni is heated through and nicely browned .
- Serve with a small salad of lettuce leaf cup filled with your favourite salad vegetables and dressing.