Pink Beetroot Risotto
( SERVES 4 )
This 'one bowl meal' is an easy vegetarian recipe that is always well received. It is filling and cheap, and just as nice the next day. For meat eaters I am sure some spicy chorizo sausage chopped on top would be a tasty addition. This is a variation on a recipe I read a while ago, in a vege cook book (sorry i can't remember where)
|1 dash||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2||Onions, finely chopped|
|1 cup||Arborio rice|
|¾ cup||Red wine, can use white - what ever is left over!|
|1 large||Beetroot, grated|
|1 Ltr||Vegetable stock, hot|
|2 Tbsp||Pine nuts, Toasted (or any type of nut you prefer)|
|1 sprinkle||Parmesan cheese|
Easy vegetable stock
Toasted pine nuts
- Use a large pot or deep frypan. Heat up a glug of olive oil, and add the onion. Saute till clear.
- Toss in the Aborio rice and allow it to fry for a minute.
- Add the wine and allow the rice to drink it all up.
- Stir in the grated beetroot, and add a grinding of pepper. Allow to cook a bit before adding stock
- Add in hot stock (home made as above or store bought) a bit at a time while stirring the risotto for the next 15 - 20 minutes.
- While risotto is soaking up the stock, in another pan - on medium heat - toast the pine nuts in the olive oil. Keep a close eye on these as they can go from raw to burnt very quickly. Keep tossing till toasted. Then set aside.
- When all the stock is added, and the risotto looks yummy, fold in 100grams of the marscapone.
- Serve in a bowl with a dollop more marscapone, a sprinkling of Parmesan and a smattering of roasted pine nuts. Serve with slice of toasted bread, if desired.