Pink Beetroot Risotto
This 'one bowl meal' is an easy vegetarian recipe that is always well received. It is filling and cheap, and just as nice the next day. For meat eaters I am sure some spicy chorizo sausage chopped on top would be a tasty addition. This is a variation on a recipe I read a while ago, in a vege cook book (sorry i can't remember where)
|1 dash||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2||Onions, finely chopped|
|1 cup||Arborio rice|
|¾ cup||Red wine, can use white - what ever is left over!|
|1 large||Beetroot, grated|
|1 Ltr||Vegetable stock, hot|
|2 Tbsp||Pine nuts, Toasted (or any type of nut you prefer)|
|1 sprinkle||Parmesan cheese|
Easy vegetable stock
Toasted pine nuts
- Use a large pot or deep frypan. Heat up a glug of olive oil, and add the onion. Saute till clear.
- Toss in the Aborio rice and allow it to fry for a minute.
- Add the wine and allow the rice to drink it all up.
- Stir in the grated beetroot, and add a grinding of pepper. Allow to cook a bit before adding stock
- Add in hot stock (home made as above or store bought) a bit at a time while stirring the risotto for the next 15 - 20 minutes.
- While risotto is soaking up the stock, in another pan - on medium heat - toast the pine nuts in the olive oil. Keep a close eye on these as they can go from raw to burnt very quickly. Keep tossing till toasted. Then set aside.
- When all the stock is added, and the risotto looks yummy, fold in 100grams of the marscapone.
- Serve in a bowl with a dollop more marscapone, a sprinkling of Parmesan and a smattering of roasted pine nuts. Serve with slice of toasted bread, if desired.