Beetroot & Feta Galette with Wholemeal Carrot Pastry
This galette is delicious and healthy and features caramelised onions teamed up with beetroot and feta in a delicious wholemeal and carrot pastry.
|1 cup||Wholemeal flour|
|½ cup||Oat bran|
|100 g||Butter, cubed|
|½ cup||Water, (cold) to mix - only use as much as is necessary|
- Put flours, salt and butter in food processor (or Thermomix) and pulse until it forms fine crumbs. Add carrot and mix in, then cold water gradually until it forms a firm ball (not sticky). Set aside until you have completed step 2 (caramelising the onions). Then roll out on a large floured surface and line a greased pie dish that is a 1-2 inches smaller than the pastry round.
- Heat oil in a fry pan and add the onion and pepper and fry gently until the onions are translucent and just starting to caramelise.
- Transfer the onions to the prepared pastry case and top with the grated beetroot. Then add coriander, feta and ground pepper (and salt if necessary - keep in mind that feta is quite salty).
- Blend together the eggs and milk and drizzle evenly over pie, then fold the edges towards the centre of the pie (this turns the pie into a galette).
- Bake at 180°C for 40 minutes (Serve on its own or with a dressed salad)
- This recipe will serve up to 6 people and can be made for well under $20. The recipe is available online on my cooking blog - www.leannes.cooking