Rice pulao with sausages and peas
( SERVES 4 )
Rice is my absolute comfort food. Pulao was one of the first dishes I learned to cook whilst in school. My love relationship with rice is very evident in my pulaos and all other rice preparations. Pulao is an easy and delicious one pot dish – you can add whatever catches your fancy – mixed vegetables, mushrooms, mince, chicken, the list goes on and on. My family love pulao with sausages and a fairly generous dash of Tabasco and preparing this dish gives me great pleasure.
|2 cups||Rice, Basmati|
|2 Tbsp||Vegetable oil,|
|1 inch||Cinnamon stick,|
|1||Onion, finely diced|
|1 tsp||Ginger garlic paste,|
|1||Green chilli, slit|
|400 g||Kransky Sausages, Cut at an angle 1/2 to 1 inch pieces|
|1 cup||Frozen peas|
|4 cups||Chicken stock, Boiling|
|½ tsp||Turmeric powder,|
|1 tsp||Salt, Adjust salt to taste|
- Wash rice till water runs clear and soak for about 20 mins. Then drain and leave aside.
- Heat the oil in the pot in which you are going to cook the pulao (preferably non-stick). Add the peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves and saute for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Do not burn the spices.
- Next add the chopped onion, ginger/garlic paste and green chilli. Saute till onions turn light brown in colour, then add the sausages (you can use sausages of choice - chorizos taste very good in a pulao) and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix gently till all the rice is well coated.
- Add the hot stock, frozen peas and turmeric powder . Check for seasoning. If using stock from stock cubes, you may need to reduce the amount of salt.
- Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Turn the flame to a simmer and cook till all the water is fully absorbed and rice is done. Fluff up the rice gently with a fork.
- Serve Pulao with a simple Mint Raita and some pappadums.
- To make the Raita: Blend the yoghurt with the mint, chilli and roasted cumin seeds. Add salt to taste. Remove in a serving bowl and keep chilled.