Spicy chicken meatballs and mexican 'cauli-rice.'
This recipe is healthy and delicious. Many ingredients are used in the meatballs and cauliflower rice, making it quick to whip up and a great for a mid-week meal.
|500 g||Chicken mince|
|1||Chilli pepper, finely diced|
|2||Garlic cloves, finely diced|
|¼ cup||Frozen corn|
|2 tsp||Smoked paprika|
|2 tsp||Cajun spice|
|4||Pita breads, garlic or wholemeal|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking dish with baking paper. Finely chop the chilli, garlic, carrot, zucchini.
- Make the meatballs by combining the chicken, 1/2 the garlic and chilli, 1t cajun, 1t smoked paprika and salt and pepper into a bowl. For extra spice add the additional option of chipotle sauce or sesame seeds. Mix well and combine. Using a teaspoon and your hands roll the spicy chicken mince into balls, it will naturally combine without the need to add an egg or breadcrumbs. You will create around 16. Arrange leaving gaps between each in your baking dish. Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- While the meatballs are baking you can create your mexican 'rice.' Heat olive oil in a frying pan and add the chilli, garlic and carrot. Fry for a few minutes until the garlic has browned. Add 1/2 the zucchini and 1/4 cup of frozen corn. Continue to fry until the zucchini and corn are cooked and browned if you want a smokey flavour. Set aside.
- Make your rice by chopping your cauliflower into chunks and using a food processor chop the cauliflower until it reaches a rice consistency. Add rice, a splash more olive oil and the remaining spices and zucchini to the frying pan. Mix well and fry until the cauliflower has warmed through. By adding the second batch of zucchini at this point you will get a nice mix of soften and slightly crunchy.
- Take the meatballs out of the oven and arrange these on a bed of cauli-rice. Add a dollop of hummus to counter the spiciness, or add more chipotle, chilli or jalapenos if more spice is wanted. Serve with a warmed pita bread.