Chicken, leek and potato top pie
A great family meal, quick to make tasty and nutritious. Easy to adapt to gluten or dairy free if needed. A very versatile recipe.
|2 stalks||Leeks, white part|
|300 g||Button mushrooms, sliced|
|½ tsp||Rosemary, finely chopped|
|½ tsp||Thyme, finely chopped|
|800 g||Boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2 to 3 cm pieces|
|1½ cups||Chicken stock|
|1 dash||Salt, to taste|
|1 dash||Pepper, to taste|
- Add chopped potatoes ( parsnips or kumera could be added) to a large pan of water. Boil until soft ( check with fork). Drain and mash with a little seasoning
- Melt butter in a large pot and cook leeks and mushrooms on a gentle heat about 10 mins. Add herbs, stock and chicken bring to a simmer until chicken is cooked.
- Mix cornflour to a smooth paste with a little of milk. Add to chicken in pan with remaining milk and stir until slightly thickened. Season generously. Pour into buttered oven proof dish.
- Place mashed potato on top of chicken, leeks and mushrooms. ( Filo pastry could also be used here ).
- Can be served immediately, or heated up later in the microwave or oven.