Burmese-style poached curry fish (Fusion)
( SERVES 4 )
From mid 90s, more Asians migrated to New Zealand, Kiwis' food also diverted to fusion trend. As New Zealand is surrounded by oceans and her Islands are intertwined by lakes, rivers and streams, different fish is almost available at all seasons, varied cooking style could excite our Kiwi diners and connoisseurs' taste buds.
|8 fillets||Hapuka fillets|
|2 large||Shallots, Bruinoise|
|3 large||Tomatoes, Bruinoise|
|3 cloves||Garlic, Mince|
|½ tsp||Tamarind puree|
|2 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
|½ tsp||Fresh ginger, Grated|
|1 Tbsp||Turmeric powder|
|½ tsp||Cayenne pepper|
|3 Tbsp||White wine|
|1 handful||Coriander, Chop roughly|
|2 pinches||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|3 Tbsp||Fish sauce|
|1 cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 cups||Jasmine rice, Accompaniment|
|20 slices||Cucumbers, Slice thinly, Garnishing|
- Rinse the rice, add to a pot of boiling water (about two liters of water) stir occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot. After 10 minutes, rinse the half-cooked rice with cold water. In a clean pot, add a tablespoon of olive oil, cover the bottom, then add the half-cooked rice, turn down the fire, cover with lip and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
- In a non-stick frying pan, add oil, sweat the onion, ginger and garlic with salt and black pepper, then add turmeric and cayenne pepper, saute another 10 seconds 2 tablespoon of fish sauce (This is a doctor family’s limit) 2 tablespoon of oil (You can always add more if you love oily dish!) 1 tablespoon of organic turmeric powder Two tablespoon of white wine A pinch of salt and black pepper Optional: Cut chilies
- Add tomatoes and white wine, saute for two minutes, then turn down fire to simmer, add the hapuka, poach for 10 minutes
- Add fish sauce and taste the season (if you have low salt tolerance, add less fish sauce),
- In a warm serving plate, transfer cooked rice to a Derrial mould, top it up with two crossed hauka fillets, drizzle with 2- 3 tablespoon of poached sauce to the fillets, garnish with coriander and cucumber slices.