Stuffed mini lamb wellingtons
This recipe works well with smaller roasts like lamb or venison rump. It may appear hard and fiddly but its an easy dish - all the ingredients can be readily found in the home pantry. Looks great carved up served with fresh veges or a summer salad. Each roast can be shared...or not :-)
|2 small||Lamb rumps, roast, or venison|
|2 sheets||Filo pastry|
|2 sheets||Puff pastry|
|4 rashers||Prosciutto, optional|
|2 Tbsp||Berry jam, thick|
|½ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1 tsp||Sea salt|
|½ tsp||Ground marjoram|
|½ tsp||Ground cloves|
|½ tsp||Star anise, ground|
|1 tsp||Orange zest|
|½ medium||Red onion, finely diced|
|1 Tbsp||Pine nuts|
|1 handful||Dried cranberries|
|1 large||Orange, zest and juice|
|1 slice||Breadcrumbs, made freshly out of extra thick bread|
- Combine seasoning flavours in shallow bowl big enough for roast to be rolled around.
- Heat fry pan, add splash olive oil and quickly sear all sides of lamb. Once done put aside to cool down.
- Using the same frypan as to keep seasoning flavours, soften diced red onion and then add cranberries. Stir around adding the juice of the orange and lastly zest. Combine together with the fresh breadcrumbs.
- Once mini roasts have cooled down make a pocket in the centre but be careful not to go cut right through. Push stuffing into pocket - there will be a bit left but don't worry as this gets used as well.
- Lightly roll out each sheet of pastry and spread a tbsp of thick berry jam. Halve remaining stuffing for each sheet and then cover with 1 sheet of filo. Roll over so flavours get pushed together. Place 2 slices of prosciutto in centre then place mini roast on top. Fold over one side pastry and before you put the other over just brush with lightly beaten egg to help stick together.
- Fold over ends - if there is too much pastry cut some off and use to decorate top. Brush with beaten egg. Place on baking dish - into the oven until nice and golden - pastry looks puffed. I cook at about 180 degrees but time is dependent on cut of meat and size.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting.