Pocket of steak
because it is yummy - you don't need any more promotion than that. i used to get a request for every birthday meal and this was it.
- cut a good deep pocket into the beef making sure it has plenty of room for all the stuffing
- cut the bacon up into little pieces and bung in a bowl
- add lemon rind finely cut, the onoin finely chopped and the salt & pepper. break in the eggs and miz
- put a couple of thick slices of bread in the processor to blitz to crumb. add the capers and go a few more seconds. Add this to the bowl of other ingredients and mix
- stuff this mixture into the pocket in the steak and using a big needle and thread sew it up tightly.
- get a big cast iron pot on the stove and heat it up real hot with some olive oil or dripping (depending on how health conscious you are). Sear the pocket all over to seal in the yumminess.
- bung in the oven at 180 degrees C for about an hour and a half to 2 hours or until you think it is done enough (generally not red because the stuffing has o be cooked).
- take the meat out and rest it whilst you make the gravy from the juices. Add a Tspn of Bisto to a cup of water (cold) mix to disolve, then add to the juices on the stove top. cook up whilst stirring the whole time and thicken.
- Of course you've already done the vege. I like par boiled spuds fluffied up, flour coated and roasted with duck fat and a bit of oil. then carrots boiled til near soft and then rattled around in the pot with butter and sesame oil. Runner beans and asparagus.
- Plate up in big slices vege and gravy. wash down with lashings of your favorite tipple.