Succulent silverside with hasselback roasties, creamy garlic mash and leek sauce
( SERVES 4 )
This has been a family favourite for over 60 years, it's just homely and comforting But just simply delicious
|1½ kgs||Corned beef|
|¼ cup||Soft brown sugar|
|¼ cup||White vinegar|
|3 leaves||Bay leaves|
|¼ cup||Black peppercorns|
Roast hasselback vegetables and leek sauce
|2 Tbsp||Rice bran oil|
|1 dash||Cracked black pepper|
|½ cup||Parmesan cheese, or blue cheese|
|½ cup||Maize flour|
Garlic potato mash and swede and carrot mash
- Siverside (corned beef) 1 – 1.5 kg or larger Cook in a heavy based large pot Cover beef in water and cup white vinegar, add bay leaves, brown sugar, cup black peppercorns Cover and bring to boil, then lower heat so it slowly bubbles for approx. 1-2 hours, cooked when put skewer in and is only slightly resistant. Take bay leaves out. Nice and juicy YUM Winematch a good Riesling.
- Roasties Preheat oven 220 degrees c Peel potatoes, Kumara and parsnips Quantity 2 of each for 1 person or more if you wish. Make slices down the veges BUT not all the way through Place in roasting dish drizzle with butter and dash of oil, season with salt and black pepper, sprinkle sesame seed over if you want a nutty taste Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven, and drizzle with the remaining butter. Sprinkle Romano/ parmesan / blue cheese and bread crumbs (gf) onto the tops of the veges, and season with a little more salt and pepper. Return to the oven, and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Creamy Mashed carrot and swede –cook together 15-20 minutes, drain, add dash of butter cream salt & cracked pepper then mash rustically. Garlic creamy mashed potatoes - cook potatoes 15 - 20 minutes, drain, add crushed clove of garlic, butter and cream - mash until creamy whippy.
- Silver beet – steam – drizzle with butter and cracked black pepper when cooked -still slightly firm
- Leek white sauce – basic roux using tblsp. maize corn flour tblsp. butter and ½ -1 cup milk - cook leeks in water and salt till just soft. Drain, add butter flour then milk gently heat till thickens taste add black pepper then add 1/4 cup cream whisk till smooth and creamy note: this is actually Gluten free