Seared venison medallions with red wine jus, roast baby beets on kumara mash
( SERVES 4 )
Beautiful venison medallions served on creamy kumara mash, with balsamic infused baby beetroot and served with a rosemary red wine jus. ..the perfect winter time recipe for by the fire with a great glass of red wine
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, wash the baby beetroot and place them in an oven proof dish. Season with salt and pepper then add the balsamic vinegar and about 3 Tbsp of olive oil. Roast for approximately forty minutes. Turn regularly.
- Whilst the beetroot are roasting prepare the red wine jus by bringing the red wine to a boil. Add rosemary and reduce by half over a medium heat. Add the stock and simmer over a low heat for half an hour until syrupy.
- At the same time peel kumara, cut into pieces and bring to the boil (just cover the kumara with water). Boil over a medium heat and drain, add half the butter and the milk and mash. Keep warm.
- Remove beetroot from the oven and let cool. Peel the kumara once cooled and toss in a little olive oil. Keep warm in oven.
- Season the venison with salt and pepper. Melt the rest of the butter in a frying pan on high heat. Sear the venison for a few minutes either side until medium rare then remove from the heat. Allow to stand.
- Arrange on plate with the mash underneath, beets to the side and medallions. Drizzle with the red wine jus. Serve with some micro greens or green beans.