Meaty stuffed eggplant
( SERVES 2 )
This recipe is very yummy, and in our household heralds the arrival of summer... you can be flexible with what you put in - and it is even good for those on a low carb diets!
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut eggplant in half, and using a spoon, hollow out halves, leaving approx. 0.5cm of flesh.
- Chop flesh of eggplant, along with onions, garlic mushrooms and zucchinis.
- Put approx 2 tbsp oil in frying pan; fry off onions till begin to go translucent; add in eggplant flesh, add some salt and cook till begins till soften. Then add zucchini (same), then mushroom. Finally garlic. Mix well. Add a little more salt.
- Add 2 cans tomatoes and mix well. Add ground black pepper.
- Put approx 2 tbsn oil in baking dish and spread over bottom.Place eggplant halves in baking dish (I use fairly deep pyrex). sprinkle salt lightly over eggplants.
- Spoon tomato mixture into eggplant halves (be generous), Top with grated cheese (you can also add feta or similar, depending on how rich you like).
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Use a fork to test that the eggplant shell is cooked - it should be quite soft.
- Other vegetables such as celery can be used if desired. You can also add in olives and/or capers to add a more Mediterranean flavour. Serve hot with green salad and vinaigrette