Homely slow cooked roast
( SERVES 4 )
Because the meat melts in your mouth and I have used this recipe for beef and pork and its great for both - I'm sure venison would work too!
|2 kgs||Beef roasts|
|1 cup||Red wine|
|3 cloves||Garlic, roughly chopped|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|3||Carrots, cut into 3x3cm pieces|
|12 pieces||Button mushrooms, coarsely sliced|
|2 pinches||Cracked black pepper|
|2 pinches||Sea salt, ground|
|1 Tbsp||Chopped fresh herbs, such as sweet basil, oregano, parsely, theyme and chives, dried is fine|
- Dry the meat by patting it with a paper towel and then sear (brown) the outside in a frypan in the olive oil. Then rub or roll in the mixed herbs all over the roast coating it.
- In a meat dish or casserole that fits the roast and vegetables add the browned meat, wine, OXO stock, onion, carrots, mushrooms, bay leaf, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Cover with foil and cook in a 150 degree oven for 6-7 hours. Remove when tender or falling off the bone. If you wish, a quick buzz under the grill once the vegetables have been removed for cuts that are fattier can brown the top of the roast more but watch you don't dry it out. (For pork cut the crackling off and grill it separately to 'crackle' before serving, watch it because it goes crackly and then burns while your back is turned for a second!).
- Use the pan juices and as much mushroom as you prefer (or none and use them as a side garnish) to make a fabulous sauce by adding a tablespoon of flour (wheat, corn or rice) mixed with water or a little more wine sprinkled with more salt and pepper to taste and stir until it begins to boil on the stove top. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve with vegetables of your choice, classic root vegetables mashed or whole and any fresh greens will go well and they will all enjoy a soak in the yummy sauce :)