The most delicious eye fillet with roasted garlic aioli
( SERVES 6 )
This recipe is special as its the first meal I ever cooked for my now husband over 10 years ago. Its still one of my go to dishes for entertaining as its simple, able to be prepared ahead and most important of all delicious. Don't be put off by making the Aioli, I sometimes buy a pre-made one, just make sure its a fresh good quality version as this is what elevates it to a special dish.
|1 kg||Eye fillet of beef, trimmed|
|2 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 cloves||Garlic, finely chopped|
|1 tsp||Sea salt|
|400 g||Baby spinach|
|18||Vine ripened tomatoes, golf ball sized|
|1 small||Red onion, optional|
|3 Tbsp||Aged balsamic vinegar|
Roasted garlic aioli
- Firstly marinate the beef, 12 - 24 hours ahead preferably but even an hour or so is ok. Add the olive oil, chopped garlic and salt to a large zip lock bag and squeeze about to combine. Add the beef and leave to marinate in the fridge.
- Remove the beef from the fridge 1 hour before you wish to cook. Preheat oven to 200 C. Place the beef in a oven dish and roast for 25 - 30 minutes or until cooked to your liking. I find the easiest way to manage this is with a meat thermometer, a piece of equipment I wouldn't be without. My preference is for 55C in the center, giving medium rare meat. It will continue to cook once removed and resting. When the meat is cooked remove from the roasting dish and wrap tightly in foil, leave to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Once beef is removed from the oven, place the tomatoes and asparagus in a roasting dish. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 20 - 30 minutes until browned and cooked through (the asparagus might be cooked sooner depending on thickness).
- Wash and dry the baby spinach and place in the serving dish. Top with roasted vegetables, very thinly sliced red onion (if using) and then the sliced beef fillet. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Serve with roasted aioli, with extra on the table and some fresh crusty bread to wipe up the delicious juices.
- To make the aioli: Trim the tops off the heads of garlic and drizzle with a little oil. Wrap in tin foil and roast at 200C for 40 minutes. When cooled squeeze cloves of garlic into the bowl of a food processor. Add egg, juice of lemon and salt and pepper and process until smooth. With the motor running pour the olive oil in using a slow and steady stream until all incorporated and the mayonnaise has thickened.