Deep in the woods
The dish like the name takes you on a journey through different tastes making every bite different.
|1 kg||Eye fillet of beef|
|¼ cup||Caster sugar|
|3 g||Plums, freeze dried, I used the Fresh As variety|
|2 g||Yuzu, freeze dried, I used the Fresh As variety|
|1 cup||Beetroot, roasted and cubed|
|½ tsp||Ground cloves|
|½ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|2 Tbsp||Muscovado sugar|
|½ cup||Balsamic vinegar|
|4 leaves||Red lettuce, per serve, I used the Lollo Rosso variety|
|1 Tbsp||Black peppercorn, crushed|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 cup||White wine vinegar|
|1 tsp||Chipotle in adobo sauce|
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
- Onion marmalade Chop onion into thin even half moons, cook in water to cover until onion is transparent , add caster sugar and heat until sugar melts , set aside.
- Blackberry chutney Chop onion into cubes, saute in a little oil , add blackberries , Chipotle , and black pepper. Add sugar and vinegar , turn down to simmer until thickened.
- Roll each piece of Eye Fillet in Black Peppercorns on sides Cook to medium rare remember to rest meat at the end.
- Marinate Cooked Beets in Muscavado sugar Pepper cinnamon and cloves and balsamic . Ideally overnight
- Build your Plate with two beet salads on top of Lettuce leaves and with Steak in the middle. Add Freeze dried Yuzu flakes and Plums last just before serving as the will go soft if left on plate to long or on wet ingredients. Arrange a couple of spoons of Onion Marmalade on plate . Garnish with strawberry and peashoots. Arrange two spoons of Blackberry chutney also on Board . I serve this all on a wooden board to keep with the rustic flavours