Seasoned lamb with redcurrant glaze
Some newer cooks are hesitant to cook a leg of lamb. This is a simple, but tasty recipe that introduces them and their diners to a sensational dish that will inspire cooks with confidence to create with lamb. For more experienced chefs, it is class cuisine bound to impress and satisfy those who are fortunate enough to partake of the dish.
|1½ cups||Breadcrumbs, stale|
|1 Tbsp||Redcurrant jelly|
|½ tsp||Dry mixed herbs|
|2 kgs||Butterflied boneless leg of lamb|
- Seasoning mix: Combine butter, onion, celery, breadcrumbs, herbs, ham, jelly and milk in a bowl. Combine well. Set aside.
- Glaze: Combine butter, ginger, garlic, jelly and sauce in a small pan. Stir over low heat until butter has melted. Set aside.
- Place lamb fat side down, on a board; pound lightly to even thickness using a meat mallet.Spread seasoning over cut-side of lamb,roll up firmly from long side. Secure lamb with string at 2 cm intervals. Place lamb on wire rack in baking dish, brush with glaze.
- Bake lamb in moderate oven about 1 1/2 hours, brushing occasionally with glaze. Rest lamb 10 minutes and remove string.
- Serve lamb sliced with redcurrant jelly and steamed vegetables.