( SERVES 4 )
It is simple to make, preparation can be completed well in advance of guests arriving, and it goes very nicely with a good New Zealand Pinot Noir.
- Cut the bacon into small rectangles. Dry the venison and cut into large cubes. Flour the venison.
- Sauté the bacon gently until the fat is transparent. Do not allow to become crisp. Transfer to the casserole dish. Brown the venison; add oil to the pan as required. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add stock and wine to the pan and bring to the boil, scraping the pan to remove all the crusty bits. Sieve into the casserole dish.
- Add onion, bouquet garni, red currant jelly and lemon juice to the casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook in a slow oven for 3 hours. Serve on heated plates with seasonal vegetables. I always enjoy it with mashed potatoes, a green vegetable and glazed carrots with Marsala (Elizabeth David recipe).