Venison, blue cheese and walnut pizza
This is my simple, go to, easy but OH SO GOOD recipe. Great for a lazy night in, or with friends and a glass of red wine -
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or follow instructions if using store bought pizza base).
- Heat a frying pan and lightly toast walnuts, then chop into pieces for sprinkling on top of the pizza. Using the same frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and slowly sauté onion until soft, add brown sugar and continue to cook for approximately 3-5 minutes to continue caramelisation. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook the Silver Fern Farms Venison Medallions for 1-2 minutes on either side, don’t over cook it as it will continue to cook in the oven. Cut into slices across the grain of the meat.
- Top the pizza base with tomato paste, caramelised onions, slices of Silver Fern Farms Venison Medallions, blue cheese and walnuts.
- Place in the hot oven for 8-10 minutes until cheese has melted and the base has crisped up. Serve with fresh thyme and a side salad.