Lorraine's lamb and coffee casserole
( SERVES 4 )
Oh the memories this dish evokes..! Autumn evenings with the outdoor fire on and family and red wine! friends who have gathered and it's "hey, how about that lamb dish honey?"...and most of all? brings back our mad wonderful crazy days in London waaaay back when we were young and took our then 4 year old daughter to the UK and Europe on a working holiday for 3 incredible years! and that doesn't even begin to include the intense aroma and flavours of this dish...
- ..Preheat oven to 150 C IF using * boned shoulder or leg of lamb. ..IF using lamb fillets this dish can be completed on stove top: [I prefer stove-top]. ..Now - cut the lamb fillets into 4 cm cubes, discarding any fat or gristle especially if you have replaced the lamb fillets with * boned shoulder or leg.
- ..Heat the butter and olive oil in a heavy based casserole, and add the chopped onion, saute until soft and just golden. Remove onion and reserve.
- ..In the same butter/oil in the pan, saute the lamb until golden brown. Return the onion to the pan along with the sliced carrots. Season with a dash of salt and fresh ground pepper, sprinkle with the sugar, and saute very gently over a moderate heat for 6 minutes. Stir frequently to caramelise the vegetables a little.
- ..Stir in the stock, coffee and cream. Cover and reduce heat - simmer gently until carrots and lamb are tender. IF using lamb fillets I would recommend simmering very gently on stove top, on a gentle heat, for 30 to 35 minutes or until carrots are cooked. IF using boned shoulder or leg, transfer, with lid, to preheated oven.....and simmer very gently for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Stir from time to time to prevent sticking.
- ..When cooked, remove lamb and vegetables to a heated serving dish and keep hot.
- ..Now reduce the sauce by half over a moderate to high heat, scraping bottom and sides of casserole with a wooden spoon. If you feel the sauce remains too thin then use the 1 Tbsp cornflour blended with a little cold water and add to sauce, simmering for 2 to minutes.
- ..Pour over the lamb fillets and vegetables and serve immediately with rice. Enjoy!