Smoked kahawai cheese cob
( SERVES 6 )
It's a simple summer crowd pleaser - every time I make this, people flock to the table and attack it. My friends always request it and it reminds me of NZ summertime gatherings with a nice glass of wine. Many people think that Kahawai is a 'cheap' fish, but when smoked it adds incredible 'kiwiana' flavour.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. If you are smoking your own Kahawai, this should be done prior to starting the recipe.
- Finely dice shallots and fry to release flavours.
- Optional: Dice 1 Smoked Capsicum - this can be purchased in a jar from the supermarket to save you time.
- Mix cheeses, cream, diced capsicum and shallots together. Microwave on high for 2 minutes and stir.
- Shred 1 smoked kahawai, either store bought but fresh and home smoked is best. Smoking would need to be done prior to starting the recipe. Mix the shredded kahawai in with the cheese mixture.
- Hollow out cobb and break into pieces. Place hollowed cob on a tray and fill with cheese mixture.
- Place hollowed cob on a tray and fill with cheese mixture and bake for 1 hour at 180 degrees.
- With 5-10min to go, place the leftover pieces of cobb on a tray and heat in the oven with the cheesy cobb.
- Serve on a platter, garnish with some spring onion and enjoy with a cold glass of Marlborough Sav.
- Try other variations - leave out the Kahawai and add smoked paprika and chorizo. Or a blue cheese for a bit of bite.