Opito bay scallop mornay
( SERVES 2 )
Opito Bay Scallop's are exceptional in flavor and my recipe enhances this delicacy.
|1 dozen||Scallops, use NZ scallops with the tongues on|
|200 ml||Chardonnay, or sauvignon blanc, use the Brancott variety|
|2||Bay leaves, fresh, or 4 if dried|
|70 g||Tasty cheese, plus extra combined with breadcrumbs for topping|
- Place Scallops in frying pan, add wine, bay leaves and whole black peppercorns. Over very low heat, poach a few minutes until just turning opaque. Remove from heat and strain through sieve, retaining liquid for sauce.
- In saucepan, melt butter, add flour - stirring. Add milk - whisking, add juice from scallops - VERY important to keep whisking to prevent curdling. Once thickened, add cheese, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Combine scallops to sauce making sure all peppercorns and Bay leaves are removed. Pour into individual or one dish and sprinkle with combined cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake 180c - middle to high in oven 25 mins or until golden. I sometimes turn oven to grill when cooked and help brown topping.
- Serve with sliced ciabatta bread brushed with Olive oil and toasted in frypan.