Borscht beef on green herb rice
Beetroot and red capsicum peppers are good value for their antioxidant qualities. Beetroot's earthy flavour, and deep rich colour really enhances the beef in this dish. On green herb rice it makes a regal-looking - yet hearty, dish that everyone enjoys.
|400 g||Beef, in strips|
|1 large||Red onion, sliced into strips|
|1 tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 medium||Red capsicum, sliced into strips|
|1 medium||Beetroot, grated|
|1 tsp||Caraway seed|
|1 tsp||Crushed garlic|
|2 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|½ cup||Red wine|
|1 Tbsp||Smoked paprika|
|1 cup||Long grain rice|
|2 cups||Vegetable stock|
|½ cup||Fresh parsley, finely chopped|
- Combine stir-fry beef and red onion strips in a strong plastic bag. Sprinkle with cornflour, salt & pepper and shake well to coat evenly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons live oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the beef/onion mix and saute until browned. Remove beef & onions from pan.
- Add another tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Add grated beetroot, caraway seeds, garlic and tomato paste and continue stir-frying just until it all begins to caramelize.
- Stir in the red wine to de-glaze pan and then add the water. Return the beef-onion mix to the pan. Sprinkle smoked paprika overall. Bring to boiling point. Lower heat to a simmer and continue cooking for 10 minutes or until mixture is richly 'saucy'.
- Meanwhile: Cook rice in the vegetable stock until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir through the chopped parsley.
- Serve the Borscht Beef over the Green Herbed Rice, accompanied with dollops of sour cream and beetroot relish.