Broccoli and lemon fish bake
( SERVES 4 )
When my mother was lying very ill in hospital in 1996, a good friend of ours had recently been to a lodge at Kauwau Island called St Clair Lodge in Vivian Bay and thought it would be a good place for me and my husband to have a break. If needed back in Auckland we could easily be at the hospital in a short length of time. The owner of this Lodge was a fabulous cook. This recipe I watched her make one day and have made many times over the years. I have adapted it for our taste buds and is a great favourite. A real comfort food dish.
- Grease or spray a shallow casserole dish.
- Cut the fish fillets up into 2 cm square pieces.
- Cut the florets off the broccoli.
- Place the fish fillets in the greased dish.
- Steam the broccoli in the microwave for 6 minutes and then add to the fish - poking between the fish fillets.
- Melt the butter/margarine in a pot over a medium heat.
- Add the flour.
- Stir vigorously, gradually adding the milk.
- When it starts to thicken add the juice of one lemon and stir vigorously. Initially this will curdle, but with will become smooth and silky.
- Pour over fish and broccoli in dish.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the mixture.
- Then sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 160oC for 30 - 40 minutes.