Horopito salmon with Maori potatoes, wild herb salsa and horseradish
( SERVES 2 )
This recipe is special as it is flavoured with a native New Zealand spice horopito (culinary and medicinal) and our native Maori potatoes (Tutaekuri). I have sourced regional products Waiheke Herb spread and Mandy's Horseradish for flavour and convenience.The robust flavours of the horopito and horseradish go really well with a chardonnay. The purple colour and texture of the potatoes contrast nicely with the fresh pink salmon. Cooking and preparation time only 40 minutes.
- Heat oven to 180degrees. Wash and scrub lightly 6 Maori potatoes(purple Tutaekuri). Slice lengthwise. Place in oven tray and drizzle 2 Tbsp olive oil over potatoes. Sprinkle over 2 tspns flaky sea salt. Shake the dish to coat. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked .
- In a shallow bowl mix the Panko crumbs, Horopito seasoning (I use Horopito Hit-Attitude Foods)and 2 tspns flaky sea salt
- With a sharp knife cut the two fillets of Salmon into rectangle and bite size pieces(I like to use boneless tail pieces of Salmon leaving the skin on). Toss in Panko Horopito mix.
- In a heavy based fry pan add 2 Tbspns Olive Oil. Heat to a medium high temperature. Pan fry Salmon pieces 1 minute on each side (starting with skin side down)or until cooked on outside and pink in the middle
- In a small bowl mix Horseradish(I like Mandy's Horseradish) with the unsweetened yoghurt . In another small bowl add 2 Tbspns Herb Spread(from Waiheke Island) or you can chop finely 2 Tbsns of fresh wild herbs and mix with a dash of virgin olive oil.
- Assemble Maori potatoes and Salmon on two plates . Place half of horseradish mix and half of wild herb salsa on each plate next to Salmon. Serve with a wild green salad (rocket, nasturtium, baby puha, mustard cress) tossed with a vinaigrette. Garnish with lime wedges.