Salted caramel and chocolate chip cookies
( SERVES 40 )
Super easy and dangerously moreish.
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line cookie tray with baking paper.
- Chop both chocolates into small chunks. Don't worry about getting them even. ALSO: Cut some chewy caramel sweets into small pieces. I use approx. 100g of Werthers Original Chewy Caramels, and chop each sweet into 6 pieces.
- Heat butter until very soft and half melted. Place in mixer with both sugars, and beat until creamed.
- Add vanilla and eggs to sugar mixture. Beat well until very soft.
- Add salt, flour and baking powder and mix gently to combine.
- Using a wooden spoon, fold in chocolate and caramels. Be careful not to mix too much as you'll lose the lovely fluffy texture and the finished cookies won't be chewy!
- Using clean hands, make small balls of dough and space them out on the baking tray. You can make them any size you like - just leave enough room for a bit of spreading, and adjust cooking time accordingly. I usually fit 8 cookies on each tray (you'll need to do quite a few batches). Press down with your fingers slightly. Sprinkle each cookie with plenty of flaky salt.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes depending on size of cookie. This recipe is pretty forgiving, but remember it's better to slightly undercook rather than overcook. Remove from oven, wait a couple of minutes and move cookies to cooling rack.
- TIP: When you take the cookies out of the oven, some of the caramel bits may have oozed. While still hot, use a metal knife or spoon to push the melted caramel back onto the cookie, so it will cool in place.