Citrus chilli jam (Pukematekeo sunset jam)
Versatile side dish for seafood, cheese, tofu, avocado, vegetables, pork and chicken.
- Peel, core and chop apples. Chop chillies- these can be de- seeded first for a clearer 'jam' if you want. Chop 3-4 kumquats, remove seeds but leave skin for zest. If no kumquats available add 2 -4 tbsp of commercial kumquat jam.
- Add all ingredients to large saucepan and boil 30-60 mins. Blend in saucepan when apples are soft.
- When sugar is caramelised the colour changes to dark orange. Boil until mixture is perfect consistency- dropping slowly off a spoon or a small amount on a cold saucer doesn't run.
- Pour into clean sterilised jars. About 3-4.
- Try not to eat straight from the jar! Great on canapés or as a side dish for lunch or dinner.