Creamy chicken roll
lovely summer luncheon recipe, light but tasty and something a little different from usual bbq and salads of summer. Also can make into smaller single serve portions, but looks great served on a large platter with heirloom tomatoes in their various colours, sliced all around the base. I have served this recipe for 20 years and never fails to get oohs and aahs!
- Peel and quarter potatoes, boil, drain, mash, cool.
- Sprinkle gelatine over water in small jug. Stir to dissolve over larger jug of boiling water. Beat cream cheese till smooth, add mayonnaise, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and tabasco sauce then gelatine mixture once cooled. Stir well. Fold in chopped gherkins and mashed potato.
- Chop chicken meat finely. Fold into cream cheese mixture, season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until mixture is firm.
- Spread half the chopped parsley and spring onions over a sheet of greaseproof paper, turn chilled chicken mixture onto this and form into roll. Completely cover the roll with the remaining parsley and spring onion mix. Wrap in foil and refrigerate a few hours until firm.
- To serve, remove foil and greaseproof paper. Place on large platter and decorate with different coloured heirloom tomatoes. To serve cut into slices, goes well with tossed salad.