Gateaux piment - yellow split pea cake
This is a specialty snack from Mauritius - extremely Popular there. Very healthy. Easy and simple to prepare. Versatile. Can be served with Wine or Beer or on French Baguette (with fresh lettuce or tomato). An excellent accompaniment when having Guests over and for parties.
- Drain soaked split pea. Put in a food processor and grind to a fine paste
- Add Salt, Baking Soda, all the herbs, Chillies - combine well
- Heat Oil in a deep frying pan - make Small balls.
- Deep fry the Gateaux Piment - one batch at a time, until brown
- Remove the Gateaux Piment. Drain them on kitchen paper towel
- Serve hot with Tomato sauce or Sweet Chilli sauce. Nice on French Baguette - over a glass of Wine or Beer ( Can Add Lettuce and fresh Tomato ). Children love them too.