Orange and almond cake
This is a gluten-free cake - almond meal is used instead of flour. It's a dense but very moist cake. It has been a favourite for birthdays in my family for the last few years!
- Heat the oven up to 175 deg C. Grease a 25cm round cake tine with the butter.
- Wash the oranges and boil 3 of them for about 20 mins until they are soft. Cool them and chop them up with a knife into small bits and whizz in a food processor for about 2-3 mins, until it is smooth in consistency.
- Whisk 300g of the caster sugar and eggs (by hand or easier with a hand beater) until it becomes light in colour.
- Fold in the orange and almond meal until it is mixed well. Pour into your greased cake tin and bake it for about 50-60 mins. Do the usual skewer test to make sure the cake is cooked.
- Use the remaining 1 orange and 100g of caster sugar to make the syrup. Zest and juice the orange and add the sugar to a pot on a low-med heat. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Once cake is cooled, pour the syrup over the cake. Decorate with slices of oranges and some orange zest too.