Meal planner: August 4
Ray McVinnie's baked salmon on warm green vegetable salad; ginger chicken and vegetable noodle bowls and French-style long cooked beef and carrot stew: Fresh, seasonal, well-balanced meals created in partnership with New World.
It’s not the cooking that can be a problem for busy cooks, it is often the ideas for what to have for dinner on weeknights that can be the issue. Here I have come up with three main courses with extra food from two of them which can form the basis of two more meals. That’s the week done!
Check you have in supply
*Flour *Cornflour *Extra virgin olive oil *Long grain white rice *Butter *Milk *Eggs *Onions *Garlic *Naturally brewed Japanese soy sauce * White wine vinegar *Red wine *Cumin seeds *Chilli flakes *Ground turmeric *Bay leaves *Fresh ginger
1.5kg gravy beef
1kg skinned and boned salmon fillet
Number 16 free-range chicken
1 litre beef stock
Pitted kalamata olives
Small jar preserved lemons
400g can Pams organic chopped tomatoes in juice
4 x 200g packets vacuum packed cooked udon noodles or 350g dry noodles of your choice
500g frozen baby peas
500g flaky puff pastry, preferably made with butter
½ bunch celery
1.5kg agria potatoes
250g sweet stem broccoli, or 1 head broccoli
250g green beans
1 bag curly kale
Small bunch coriander
4 Shanghai bok
1 red chilli
- Use fresh thyme because dried thyme has a nasty dominating flavour. As you won’t use the whole of a bought packet of fresh thyme, freeze the rest for further use. Ditto for bay leaves and beef stock.
- If you are using a naturally brewed soy sauce which is more expensive than the chemically flavoured varieties, you will notice that it says on the label to refrigerate after opening to keep it in top condition.
- If by some chance you don’t drink and have leftover wine, freeze it in the bottle for further use, it will be fine.
● Beef and carrot stew can be made up to 2 days in advance. Reheat by adding a cup of water, covering and placing in a 200C oven for 30-40 minutes or until bubbling.
● Oops, thought you had wine for the stew but don’t? Use extra stock instead.
● Dressing for salmon can be made a few hours before needed.
● The rice can be precooked, cooled in fridge, and kept refrigerated and then thoroughly reheated in the microwave. But freshly cooked rice is always best. A rice cooker makes it easy.
● Cook and debone the chicken in advance. Store the chicken meat and the broth covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Salmon fillet is baked in the oven, served on a salad of steamed green beans, sweet stem broccoli, peas and kale, with a salty sour dressing and served with steamed rice. Leftover salmon and rice are reflavoured with curry spices and fried onions, a quick white sauce made, boiled eggs are added and it is baked in to a kedgeree (see recipe below). Use remaining green vegetable salad as a side for the kedgeree. The dressing is great also used for a green salad, or as a dressing on fried fish, barbecued salmon or lamb chops.
3 cups long grain white rice
7 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp capers
¼ cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
Peel of ½ preserved lemon, finely diced
1 kg skinned boned salmon fillet
250g sweet stem broccoli, stalk ends trimmed, stalks halved or 1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets
250g green beans, stalk ends trimmed
3 leaves curly kale, frilly green leaf pulled off the stems
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Use a rice cooker to cook the rice or place the rice into a saucepan and add enough water to come 1.5cm above the level of the rice. Bring to a rolling boil then move to your smallest stove element, cover and turn the heat to the lowest setting. Cook, without uncovering for any reason, for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and without uncovering, allow to stand for 5 minutes.Uncover and gently fluff up the rice with a fork but don’t mash the rice grains.
- Remove 4 cups of the rice to a bowl, cool,cover and refrigerate (for the kedgeree).
- Meanwhile, put 5 tablespoons of the oil into abowl and add the vinegar, capers, olives and lemon peel. This is the dressing. Taste, season and reserve.
- Line an ovenproof tray with baking paper and use the remaining oil to brush all overthe salmon. Season with salt and place on the tray.
- Place in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the salmon is just cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, remove a quarter of the salmon, let it cool, cover and refrigerate.
- Put the vegetables into a steamer over high heat or drop them into a saucepan of boiling water and steam or boil gently for 4 minutes.
- Drain well and spoon the dressing over them. This is the salad.
- Serve the hot salmon broken into pieces on the vegetable salad with the rice on the side.
Use the reserved salmon and rice to make a kedgeree to serve six.
- Fry plenty of finely chopped onions with toasted cumin seeds, chilli flakes, finely chopped ginger and garlic until the onion is soft.
- Stir in a little ground turmeric and add enough milk to cover well. Bring to the boil and thicken until creamy with a couple of tablespoons of cornflour dissolved in a little cold water. Taste and season.
- Break the leftover salmon into bite-sized pieces and add to the onion mixture with plenty of quartered hard-boiled eggs.
- Make a layer of half the leftover rice in the bottom of an ovenproof dish, put the salmon mixture on top and top with the remaining rice. Dot the top with small pieces of butter, cover and place in a 200C oven for 20 minutes or until bubbling.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped coriander and a side of green vegetables.
All New Zealand salmon is “King” salmon by species and taste and it’s available in all New World stores filleted and ready for every occasion. Or ask the New World fishmonger to cut your perfect portion size. David Jose, New World Seafood Expert.
This is a big main course soup. Cooking the chicken produces more of the well-flavoured broth than you will need and a chicken carcass, both of which can be frozen for further use. You can vary the vegetables used, just make sure they are cut small enough or sliced thin enough to cook in 5 minutes in the broth. Get the recipe.Free range chicken is very competitively priced in New World. You may be surprised to know that our own Pams Chicken is all free range. It’s also hormone free and is grown with love by Kiwi farmers. There is no imported fresh chicken in New Zealand. Look for new portion controlled Pams Free Range Chicken in store – as many of us try and cut back a little, portion control helps us do that, easily. Brigit Corson, New World Fresh Expert.
The beef is so tender in this stew that you can eat it with a spoon. As it is long cooked, cuts of beef like blade steak, shin steak and chuck steak will all work in this recipe. Use one third of the stew to make pasties for another dinner or lunch or to freeze for later use. Get the recipe.Gravy Beef is a fantastic, affordable and flavoursome cut, perfect for slow-cooked stews, casseroles and curries. We are already picking new season carrots in Ohakune and you will find these sweet and delicious beauties in New World stores now. Brigit Corson, New World Fresh Expert.