4 Bites: Kids' snacks
Rather than store-bought, these child-friendly nibbles are better, and just a little healthier, when made at home.
- Melt 250g block of chocolate (dark or otherwise) with a small knob of butter.
- Into a mixing bowl combine 150g chopped dried apricots, 100g banana or apple chips, 150g lightly crushed mixed nuts, 3 or more handfuls of popcorn and the zest of an orange.
- Add the chocolate and mix well, spread onto a sheet of baking paper, sprinkle with desiccated coconut or sesame seeds and chill. Break into small clusters to eat.
- Mix 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken with a generous spoonful each of mayo and sour cream, a good squirt of mustard, a handful of chives (chopped), and season with salt, ground black pepper and lemon zest and juice to taste.
- Working on a sushi mat, spread cooked sushi rice across a sheet of nori, cover generously with chicken salad, add thin strips of raw or pickled veges for a healthy crunch (carrot, cucumber, avocado, radish), roll up tightly and slice to serve.
- Simmer 1 large cup water, ¼ cup honey and the peeled zest and juice of 1 orange for 3-5 minutes.
- Working in batches, add thick slices of your chosen fruit (peaches and pears, peeled or not, are good), approximately 3-4 cups and poach until tender.
- Remove fruit and reduce liquid until syrupy (if it isn't already), pour over fruit, cool and store in fridge or freezer, ready to serve with the morning cereal or with icecream for dessert.
- Peel a selection of root vegetables (agria potatoes, various kumara, parsnip, beetroot) then use a mandolin to slice them very thinly. Spread out onto a clean tea towel and dry them thoroughly.
- Toss them in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, lay onto baking trays lined with baking paper and season accordingly (try sea salt flakes, ground black pepper, chipotle salt, a herb salt, etc).
- Bake in a moderate (170C) oven so they cook and crisp evenly. You may have to move them around, and flip them. Each vegetable will crisp up at a different rate, so best to use separate trays.