4 Bites: Salmon for omega 3s
Warren Elwin's tasty and nutritious dinners help up your intake for winter health.
- Slice approx 800g salmon (skin on) into long thick strips and marinate in a mixture of 1 Tbsp miso paste, 1 tsp tahini, 1 tsp rice wine vinegar, 1 tsp mirin and the zest and juice of ½ lemon for an hour or overnight.
- Sear salmon in a hot pan or grill, turning once or twice, until just firm. Peel off the skin, place in a hot dog bun (lightly pan-toasted in a little butter), garnish with some finely chopped spring onion, radish and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Top with a squirt of kimchi ketchup. Makes 4 dogs
- Roughly chop 1 garlic clove, 2 small fresh green chillies, 1 Tbsp pickled ginger, a small knob peeled ginger, 2 kaffir lime leaves and a small handful of fresh coriander. Add 1 Tbsp Korean chilli bean paste (gochujang), a splash of mirin and olive oil and blitz all in food processor. Pour over 4 x 200g salmon fillets (skin on) and leave to marinate for 1-3 hours.
- Grill or barbecue salmon (skin side down) until flesh is just firm to the touch. Serve on a bed of warmed sauerkraut (we tossed ours with crispy bacon, a few capers and fresh coriander leaves). Serves 4
- Flake a 200g piece of hot smoked salmon (we used Regal’s sweet chilli, lime and mint king salmon) into a bowl. Add one yellow capsicum, 1 celery stalk (both finely sliced), 1 Tbsp sliced pickled ginger, 1 segmented grapefruit and the zest of ½ lemon and toss gently to combine and season.
- Place large spoonfuls on lettuce leaves, drizzle with a dressing (try 2 Tbsp creme fraiche, 1 Tbsp sour cream, ½ Tbsp horseradish, a good squirt of wasabi, and the zest and juice of ½ lemon) and wrap in the lettuce to eat. Serves 2
- Whisk ¾ cup bechamel sauce (white sauce), ¼ cup creme fraiche (or sour cream), 1 Tbsp each of dijon and hot english mustards, 1 Tbsp horseradish and the zest and juice of ½ lemon, until smooth. Season and chill.
- Generously spread sauce over the top of 4 x 200g salmon fillets, sprinkle with panko crumbs mixed with finely grated colby cheese and bake in a hot oven until crumb is golden and sauce is bubbling. Serves 4
In the food processor blitz equal amounts of kimchi and tomato sauce, the zest and juice of a lemon and a splash of fish sauce until smooth. Season to taste.