4 Bites: Cheese on toast
Cheese on toast for soups and stews, or to cool and store for snacking
- Finely chop ½ onion, 1 small yellow or red capsicum, 1 stalk celery, 1-2 green chillies and a small handful of coriander. Toss with a little lemon zest, freshly ground black pepper, 1 cup grated cheddar and edam cheese.
- Spread evenly across sliced bread and bake in a medium-hot oven until golden and crispy. Serve hot or cold.
Serves 4-6. Get the recipe
- Mash 170g jar of drained artichoke hearts with ½ cup of tzatziki and season with salt, pepper and a little lemon zest.
- Spread across toasted crumpets, top with grated cheddar or edam cheese, and grill in a hot oven until golden and bubbly. Serves 4-6. Get the recipe
- Add a good squirt of American mustard and a little mayo to slices of lightly toasted rye or seeded bread. Cover with sauerkraut, top with grated smoked cheddar and bake until golden and melty. Get the recipe
- Make a mushroom stew by slowly frying 1 small, finely chopped onion, 2-3 cloves crushed garlic, a handful of chopped coriander or parsley stalks, a little fresh thyme or oregano and the zest of 1 lemon in little hot oil until onion is soft.
- Add 50g butter and 200g finely sliced mixed mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are soft. Sprinkle with a little flour and cook it into the mix, then add enough stock or wine to form a thick gravy. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Pile stew on to toasted bagel halves, generously cover with grated cheddar and gruyere cheese and bake or grill in a hot oven until golden. Serves 4-6. Get the recipe