4 Bites: A summer of sundaes
- Thinly slice 1 punnet of strawberries, add the zest and juice of ½ an orange, a splash of vodka or gin and a sprinkling of icing sugar. Leave to macerate. (This makes enough for 3-4 sundaes.)
- Crumble a couple of shortbread biscuits into a sundae glass, and cover with strawberries and juice. Add a large ball of berry gelato, top with pomegranate seeds (or a dusting of strawberry powder). Get the recipe
- Slice skin-on bananas in half, lengthwise. Sprinkle flesh with some brown sugar and xmas spices (make a spice mix by lightly toasting and finely grinding 1 tsp each of black peppercorns, cloves, mace, all spice berries and a piece of cinnamon. Mix in a tsp of ground nutmeg if you don’t have mace) and place on a hot barbecue or grill skin-side down until bananas are caramelised on top and have softened.
- Peel into a sundae dish, add scoops of your favourite icecream, top with fresh berries, candied nuts and a drizzle of caramel or butterscotch sauce. Get the recipe
- Finely chop 2-3 thick slices of fresh pineapple into a saucepan. Add the zest and juice of an orange, 2 Tbsp grapefruit marmalade,
- 1 Tbsp honey and enough apple juice to just cover the fruit. Bring to boil and simmer until mixture is jammy. (This makes enough for 4-6 sundaes.)
- Whip 2-3 cups French vanilla icecream with 1 large cup fresh grated dried coconut (or use desiccated). Quickly roll handfuls into balls, dip all over in melted chocolate, place on baking paper and refreeze.
- Spoon pineapple sauce into a sundae dish, add icecream ball, garnish with mint and fresh pineapple. Get the recipe
- Add 250g cherries to a saucepan, along with ⅔ bottle Karma cola and 1 tsp grated ginger. Bring to the boil, then summer to reduce liquid to syrup. Press to strain through a sieve, cool. (This makes enough for 4-6 sundaes).
- Add a large scoop of icecream to a sundae glass, surround with almond tuile biscuits (or Anzac wafers), add a blob of whipped cream and smoother in cherry cola sauce. Top with a fresh cherry or three. Get the recipe