4 Bites: A world of soups (Part 2)
Continuing his global tour of soups, Warren Elwin makes a batch with spring in their step. See more world soups from Warren here.
- Whisk 1 cup natural yoghurt, ¼ cup sour cream, 2 cloves garlic crushed with 1 tsp sea salt and the zest and juice of ½ lemon, until smooth.
- Add 1 large cup of finely diced cucumber, ½ cup crushed roasted walnuts, a large handful of chopped dill and chill lightly.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve as a refreshing starter (thinned out with a little stock if necessary), or try it as a sauce for grilled vegetables or roasted meats. Serves 3-4
- Cut 2-3 fish fillets (skin on is good) into pieces. Toss with the zest of a lemon, a splash of sesame oil and soy sauce and a good grind of black pepper and leave to marinate.
- Finely slice 1 large peeled knob of ginger into thin strips. Heat 4 cups fish stock with the ginger until just simmering. Add 1-2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar and the juice of ½ lemon (more or less to taste).
- To serve, add 1-2 finely shredded baby lettuces (we’ve used a mini cos and radicchio) and the fish. Cover, remove from heat and let the broth cook the fish and wilt the lettuce. Spoon into bowls and garnish with chopped chives or coriander. Serves 4
- Finely chop 1 large onion, 2 spring onions and 3 cloves garlic and fry gently in a splash of oil until fragrant and soft.
- Add 1 halved and deseeded mild red chilli, 3 cups hot vegetable stock and a tied bundle of fresh thyme, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1 large bunch (300g bag) spinach and wilt into the broth. Remove from heat to cool a little, discarding the thyme but reserving the chilli, then blitz until smooth.
- To serve, add 1 kumara cut into small dice and gently reheat until kumara is tender. Adjust seasoning and garnish with the cooked chilli, finely minced. (Or use a finely chopped fresh chilli for more heat. Serves 4
- Squeeze the meat from 3-4 chicken sausages into a bowl (discard casings), add the zest of a lemon, a small handful chopped thyme, 3 Tbsp panko crumbs and a good grind of black pepper and mix all together. Roll into small meatballs. Chill.
- Thinly slice 2 baby leeks, 2 small carrots and 1-2 courgettes. Crush 2-3 garlic cloves in 1 tsp sea salt. Gently fry all in a splash of olive oil to just soften vegetables. Add ½ cup orzo, 4 cups chicken stock and a bay leaf (or 3) and simmer until pasta and vegetables are tender. Leave to rest for flavours to develop.
- To serve, reheat soup, adding more stock as needed, with a handful of finely sliced spring greens (spring onions, bok choy, baby spinach). Add meatballs and simmer until cooked. Check seasoning and garnish with parsley and a squeeze of lemon. Serves 4-6