4 Bites: Carrots
Nutritious and tasty side dishes to perk up your winter menus.
Carrot, courgette and noodle salad
- Whisk 1 Tbsp fish sauce, 1 tsp each of soy sauce and sesame oil, the zest and juice of 1 lime, a small knob of finely grated ginger and a little grated palm sugar (or 1 tsp mirin). Chill.
- Peel 1 large peeled carrot and 1 courgette into ribbons and toss together with a large handful of cooked rice noodles, fresh mint and coriander leaves and ¼ cup crushed cashews or peanuts. Add dressing to taste. Serves 4
- Finely shred ¼ cabbage, 1 onion and 3-4 carrots. Finely chop 1 hot chilli and mix all together.
- Pack into 2 large (600ml) jars (or 4 x 300ml jars) and cover with 2½ cups white vinegar mixed with the juice of 2 grapefruit. Seal jars and store in the fridge for 2-4 weeks.
- Boil 3 peeled, chopped carrots and parsnips in cold salted water until tender.
- Drain, add a Tbsp each of sour cream and butter and mash until smooth. Add a handful chopped chives and dill and season. Serves 4
- Blitz 1-2 red chillies, 2 cloves garlic, 1 small knob each of ginger and turmeric (or 1-2 tsp powdered turmeric), a small handful coriander stalks, 1 tsp each of cumin and garam masala, the zest and juice ½ a lemon and a splash of olive oil until smooth.
- Whisk paste through ½ cup yoghurt and slather on to 1-2 bunches of baby carrots (reserve enough marinade to serve). Roast in a hot oven until fork-tender. Drizzle with additional marinade and sprinkle with coriander to serve. Serves 4