Keep the holiday feeling alive and eat your meals out ... on a tartan rug. We've got the menu covered
1 Pack a pie
Always a favourite and easy to transport, hot or cold. Just don’t forget the relish (recipes below).
- Pumpkin and pine nut tart
- Picnic pie
- Sausage pie
- Easy tomato feta tarts
- Bacon and egg pasta pies
- Perfect picnic pies
- Artichoke and feta tarts
- Rabbit picnic pie
- Curried lentil and pumpkin pasties
2 Amp up the flavour with relishes and pickles
Pop a jar of preserves into the hamper to have on the side with your pie or meatloaf or, more simply, to eat with cheeses and bread.
- Peach and tomato relish
- Sweetcorn relish
- Green tomato relish
- Zucchini pickle
- Plum sauce
- Spicy apricot chutney
3 On a roll
Don’t want to undo the New Year’s diet resolution? Try these healthy picnic wraps.
4 Serve salad
A fresh and wholesome addition to a picnic spread - as a side or the main dish. Choose one that’s not too wet to eat on your lap. Transport in a sealed container and, if delicate, put the dressing in a screw-top jar to be added later.
- Peanut and ginger noodle salad
- Cauliflower rice pilaf
- Vietnamese chicken salad
- Seafood salad
- Greek salad
- Carrot, nut and currant salad
4 Use your loaf
Bake your own crusty bread and bring dips, cheeses, pates and cold meats or use for a round of sarnies.
- Maca and chia seed loaf
- Basic bread dough
- Gluten-free courgette loaf
- Seared pear, pastrami and blue cheese loaf
- Picnic loaf
- Curried egg and rocket sandwiches
- Chicken and watercress club sandwiches
- Reuben sandwich
5 Nostalgia rules
Don't forget the oldies. These dishes are picnic stars.
- Scotch eggs
- Pork and kumara pie with hot water pastry
- Chicken liver pate
- Cheese, ham and rosemary pinwheel scones
6 Play it cool with a refreshing drink … added alcohol, optional
Bottles, or a Thermos or two, of partially frozen drinks will keep you chilled and do the same for other foods in your chilly bin.
7 Bring something sweet for after
But do avoid anything that requires a cake fork, sticky icings, things that melt and too much sauce. Bring fresh fruit and biscuits, sweet muffins or a sturdy cake to slice and share at the end of your meal.
- Apricot and almond cake
- Mini blackberry and blueberry bakewells
- Almond and orange Anzac biscuits
- White chocolate and cranberry biscuits
- Chocolate chip with condensed milk biscuits
- Banana, coconut and saffron upside down cake
- Nana Jill's sultana cake
8 Even more